Wednesday 22 September 2010

SWOT Analysis for University

I have been requested to write a SWOT analysis to analyse myself at the beginning of the first year on my course. I thought it would be a good idea to write some ideas for it into my Blog, just to get some general feedback and to make sure that I don't miss anything out etc.

SWOT stands for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats.

Strengths
  • I have a B-Tec National Diploma in ICT for Practitioners, so I have a good foundation for the course which I have chosen (Bsc Computing)
  • Recently I set up my own business in web design and development, which provided me with valuable work experience and contacts to help me improve my skills in computing, within the course and elsewhere.
  • I have a great interest in coding, especially in web design and development and have self-taught skills in using HTML, XHTML, CSS, Visual Basic, C# .net, JavaScript and PHP, so I feel that I will be able to cope well with the level and standards expected of me in these fields.
  • Time management and self motivation have always been some of my stronger points, I am confident that I will be able to provide my assignments in a timely manner.
  • My partner is a professional developer and is a great mentor for me to look up to when learning about coding.
Weaknesses
  • My personality has always been a bit anti-social and I believe this could be a problem when coming to do group projects with fellow class-mates. However I have met some of my class-mates and their attitudes/personalities seem to be much more mature than those I met in College, making them much easier to converse with.
  • I am self taught for most of my Computing knowledge and I feel that this could be a disadvantage as I may have missed out blocks of information, potentially leaving me clueless in certain subject areas.
  • My experience in coding is limited to certain languages, and I have not any experience in coding with C++ which is what we will be using on the University course.
Opportunities
  • At the moment I see University is a stepping stone to a career in web design and development, or for boosting my skills so that I can make my own web design and development company a success.
  • Besides making me more employable, I also think that I will make many great friends and colleagues on this course, building my social profile, confidence and business etiquette.
  • Time management for projects will be a very useful skill to walk away with from my time at University, as I believe my future career will be based very much on projects which are to be completed within certain deadlines.
Threats
  • I can become tired very easily, especially when looking at a screen for too long, and I often find it difficult to concentrate on reading for any moderate length of time. This could be an issue if I begin to struggle with reflecting back on my work, or for reading assignments.
  • As I usually use a PC at home, I am not used to using Macs, therefore I may find it takes a bit of time to get used to using these in the University.
  • I can be easily distracted in class, so I shall need to be mindful about sitting close to loud fellow students, although so far this has not been an issue on this course.
  • I have been hearing a lot of rumours that Degrees are not worth as much now as they used to be, which is worrying as the chances for opportunities in a decent career are decreasing even for those with degrees, potentially making the next few years of study and debt unnecessary and somewhat pointless.

1 comment:

  1. You know yourself well, this is a very good reflective SWOT!
    Degrees may on the surface feel as though they are not worth as much as they were, but believe me, if you can get into a graduate job, your earning potential is so much more. If I did not have my degree I would still be stuck in jobs that only pay a basic wage!
    Also undertaking a degree course really does open your mind up to new experiences and teaches you to question everything!

    ReplyDelete